The task of helping animals is not an easy one, but it is an incredibly rewarding experience. As a volunteer you will be working towards giving our four legged friends a better life and a new home.
Many of us work full-time and have been doing this voluntary work for several years and find it very rewarding. You not only get to meet heaps of lovely dogs, but lots of wonderful people too.
If you are a little bored in life, have a bit of time to spare or are simply an animal lover, this may be just the thing for you. Please give us a call - we would love to hear from you!
PR / Marketing / Fundraising /Admin
We are continuously looking for new ideas in which to raise funds and promote Geraldton Dog Rescue. We are also looking for people that can help with writing funding grants and perform administrative duties.
We are always in need of volunteers to assist us at Sausage sizzles, Dogs Day Out Events and other fun activities we do in the community.
Our furry friends need a place to stay when between homes. Therefore new foster carers are always welcome.
Most dogs require a foster home for one to four weeks. Foster carers can choose what breed, size or sex of dog they are willing to look after. However, a prospective foster carer must consider the following criteria.
Criteria for Foster Carer
Foster carers must NOT have:
- More dogs than permitted on the property (2 dogs + foster = OK).
Foster carers must have:
- A genuine love for dogs
- A fenced yard or safe acreage away from main roads
- Owners permission, if renting
- Parents permission if under 16 years of age
- Their own dogs must be registered with the City of Greater Geraldton and vaccinated
Foster carers are asked to provide:
- Food and water (we often ration out donated food)
- Love and kindness
- General training/discipline and exercise
You are never obliged or expected to accept a foster dog unless it is convenient for you at the time. Holidays, visitors, ill health, new babies, etc. will always take priority.
If you would like to give foster caring a go, please contact us.
Call 0400 219 719 Geraldton Dog Rescue
Criteria for Rescuer
Rescuers must have:
- A genuine love for dogs
- Some idea about dog handling (or we can teach you this)
The Role of Rescuer
- Dogs in the City of Greater Geraldton pound are available for rescue and rehoming if they have been surrendered by their owner or not claimed following impounding.
- The rostered members of the GDR Rescue Team go to the city pound to collect the dogs available
- Dogs are rescued based on the availability of foster care places (i.e.: large/small, male/female); the potential for rehoming the dog (little fluffies are easily rehomed, larger or working breeds can take more time) and assessment of the dog's temperament
- Rescuers take the selected dogs for washing/flea treatment; vet check; vaccination, microchip implant, worming and photographing. A GDR collar and ID tag is attached and a "new owner" information package is organized. A Foster Carer for the dog is confirmed and arrangements are made for the dog to be collected.
- You return home feeling great about giving the forever grateful "rescued" dogs a second chance at a good life
If you are a little bored in life, have a bit of time to spare or are simply an animal lover, this may be just the thing for you. Please give us a call. We would love to hear from you.
Geraldton Dog Rescue
Call 0400 219 719